Over the next 6 months your child will be working on applying for post-16 education. In Birmingham there are many options for students when applying for post-16 education, including: Sixth Forms, Colleges, Apprenticeships and Training.
Mrs O’Donnell the in-school Careers Advisor will meet with your child to discuss career paths and subjects that interest them. Following this, she will provide them with a range of information to support them to look at a range of options and support to make applications to Sixth Form, College and Apprenticeships.
Parents Role in Post-16 Education
Whilst applying for post-16 education is your child’s responsibility and their choice, as a parent, it is your role to:
- Have discussions with your child about their interests and careers that they would like to try
- Ensure your child has applied for more than one post-16 provider to ensure they have a range of options available to them
- Ensure your child attends any interviews on time
- Engage with the Careers advice that is sent out through social media, on the website and handed to students in school
- Encourage your child to log into & register with START profile, the online careers platform startprofile.com
- Use the Labour Market Information booklet LMI Guide – MY WAY Into The World Of Work (1).pdf to find out about jobs in the West Midlands. (right click and open the hyper link)
- Should you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Mrs A O’Donnell
Academy Careers Advisor.