In the Know Autumn Term 2022
We would like to welcome out new Year 7 parents to this first edition of ‘In the Know’ for this academic year. Each half term we will be reminding you of some important dates for your diary and giving you an update on how you can become involved as a parent/guardian in your child’s education.
Leading Parent Partnership Award
Last September, we had a visit from a consultant to give advice on how as a school we could improve parental engagement and achieve an accreditation called the Leading Parent Partnership Award. Following the visit, an action plan was shared with a series of performance indicators and strategies.
Throughout the year, parents have had the opportunity to join in focus group meetings to look at how to improve parental engagement. We have listened to your feedback in meetings and from questionnaires we sent out and have made a number of improvements.
We asked…You said…We did
- Parents of students with SEND needs said they wanted more information about how the SEND department were supporting their children.
- In response, the SEND department now holds regular coffee mornings which parents are invited to meet their child’s keyworker and review their plans, meet other parents with SEND children and meet specially trained experts, including health workers.
- We have supported parents with technology and apps (Show My Homework, MyEd) and held drop in workshops
- We listened to your feedback on parent’s evenings and last year parents had the opportunity to have appointments face to face in school or online.
- You told us that you would like some creative workshops so that you could learn alongside your child, we offered a pottery workshop in the summer term, a cooking workshop and a crafts workshop for our EAL parents. We have sent out information regularly on adult education course opportunities.
- You told us you wanted to be kept up to date on whole school initiatives and key information regarding your child’s learning. Every half term, we now send out parent curriculum guides so that you know what topics are being taught. A member of SLT also writes a letter every week which is published on the school website updating you on their area of whole school responsibility.
- We involved yourselves and the local community in celebrating Black History and Culture Fest.
- When you come into school you will find a parent feedback box where you can fill in a questionnaire about your experience of visiting the school. There is also a parent information board. The reception area is currently being modernised and upgraded.
We want to maintain the momentum of last year but also introduce some new ways of engaging with parents, therefore, we have a number of things planned. Students will be attending Study Skills workshops delivered by ELEVATE. There will also be opportunities for parents to attend study skills workshops to find out how they can support their children.
‘Elevate’s study skills workshops and seminars are designed to achieve behavioural change amongst students. It isn’t enough that students simply understand what they need to do in their study: the challenge in any study skills programme is getting students to use and apply the skills they learn’
Dates for your diary
- Year 11 parental revision evening, 11th October 5-6.30pm
- Year 7 Settling in Evening, Wednesday 19th October 4-7pm
- Year 8 and 9 ELEVATE parent study skills evening; 31st October
- ERASMUS visit to Portugal 9-16th October
- FMAT Performance; University of Birmingham, Thursday 20th October
- Enrichment Day 24th November
- Year 11 Mock Exams 14th-25th November
If you would like any further information about Erdington Academy, please visit the website where you will find a wealth of resources. Please visit the tab Academy Life – Parent and Carer information. Please also scroll down the front page to News and Updates where you will find ‘In the Know’ and ‘Principals blog’ tabs.